Are you aware how much stress affects your health? Studies show it is one of the primary causes of a number of emotional and physical illnesses such as anxiety, depression, heart attack, hypertension, low immune system, and stroke among others.
Stress.org has demonstrated different ways or symptoms on how stress affects your body systems and listed down at least 50 common symptoms of stress which include frequent headaches, jaw clenching or pain, stuttering or stammering, neck ache, back pain, muscle spasms, ringing, buzzing or popping sounds, blushing, sweating, unexplained allergy attacks, and so much more.
They say your body speaks to you through these symptoms and if you are experiencing these frequently or more than usual, it is best to pause, listen to what your body needs as of the moments, and take the time to decompress and relax.
According to the American Psychological Association, prolonged exposure to stress can be harmful to the body. Therefore, it suggests countering this by producing positive feelings by engaging in activities you enjoy.
Here are five easy and simple ways to decompress and feel positive afterward:
1. Exercise is one of the most common ways to destress yourself. The good thing about this is you can do it in various ways such as jogging, running, and walking around your neighborhood or by engaging in sports such as basketball, badminton or boxing which you can do with a friend or partner.
2. If you are someone who enjoys company, then conversing with either a friend or a colleague in school or work may help you de-stress. Talk to a friend and release these thoughts bothering you. Being in good company while you vent is surely one of the simplest yet effective ways to wind down.
3. Another inexpensive way to relax is through meditation. Find a comfortable spot to sit or lie down, close your eyes, and focus on your breathing. Free online applications which offer meditation guides, calming music, and the like are also available for download.
4. Korean skincare is a trend in beauty products as of late. Start by following a simple routine of double cleansing with an oil cleanser and foam facial wash, followed by a toner, serum, and moisturizer, and ending it with a good, soothing face mask. After all, the best way to destress is to make yourself look and feel beautiful.
5. Personally, one of the relaxing things to do is indulging in spa treatments or massages. You may opt to avail services from salons or if on a budget, do your own spa treatment in the comforts of your own home. Use available resources – do a hot bath or simply put a hot towel on your face to relax your tensed muscles. Invest in products that will help boost your glow, remove your under eye bags or fine lines on your face. Local drug stores also offer different hair and body products which you can use in your do-it-yourself (DIY) spa treatment such as hair masks, body scrubs, creams or oils.
Amplify your DIY spa at home by listening to good music. Slow, classical music creates a relaxing effect on your mind and body. Psychologists also found that listening to classical music benefits physiological functions such as decreasing levels of stress hormones in the body, lower blood pressure and slowing of pulse and heart rate.
These are more ways you can de-stress from the hustle and bustle of daily life. You can find more activities to do by trying new things and discovering them yourself or with others. Winding down should be something that you can look forward to and bring you utmost joy.