Office Desk Workout, Part 5
"Spine and torso exercises"
Spinal twist is actually one of the best ways to release that tension in your lower back.
How to do the spinal twist:
1. Sit up straight on your office chair with feet flat on the floor.
2. While keeping your abs tight, gently twist your torso towards the right.
3. Hold on to the side of the chair and pull with your hands to help deepen the stretch.
4. Do not over-twist. Only perform the stretch as far as you comfortably can. Remember to keep the back straight while doing this.
5. Hold this stretch for 10 to 30 seconds before repeating on the other side.
Your entire set of torso muscles and both your arm muscles will benefit from this torso stretch, especially after a long day of work in the office.
How to do the torso stretch:
1. Choose a seated or standing position, whichever is more comfortable for you.
2. Clasp your hands together (palms facing outward).
3. Take a deep breath and stretch your arms out towards the ceiling.
4. Exhale and open the arms, then bring them back down slowly.
5. Repeat torso stretch for 8 to 10 times.
The back-side stretch is a stretch that can be performed after the torso stretch.
How to do the back-side stretch:
1. Instead of opening the arms after stretching towards the ceiling, you can slowly bring your arms to the left. This will stretch your right side torso muscles.
2. Repeat on the other side before releasing arms and going back to upright seated position.
You may repeat sets of back-side stretch until you feel more relaxed.